Sunday, December 19, 2010

RavakKali

Hmmm... if you are thinking about a form of dance like Kathakali, nah.... you are not even close! If you are humming "MasakKali MasakKali", you are still far away! However, if your tummy is grumbling and you are saying MorKali, then you are headed in the right direction :)

Sunday morning is always slow for many. For me though, they have gotten too busy of late. No, not with the cooking, but with the chirping of birds, running behind them, carrying my bazooka etc etc. That was not to be the case today. So when I got all of Sunday morning to myself, I was in a mood to experiment in the kitchen. I didnt want to have plain simple Rava upma. I didnt want to have just Morkali either. RavakKali was born... Or so I thought.

For the record:

Aim: To cook some breakfast and to shut up my grumbling stomach.
Apparatus required: Stove, Pan, Stirrer and containers.
Ingredients required: Rava, Mustard seeds, Chana dal, Red chillies, Curry leaves, Asafoetida, oil, curd, salt and water.

Procedure:
1. Heat pan. Fry dry rava until golden brown. Empty pan.
2. Heat pan. Add a spoon of oil. Sauté the mustard, chana dal, red chillies and curry leaves. Add a pinch of Asafoetida for flavour.
3. Add water and bring to boil.
4. Add the fried rava, and stir till rava cooks.
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Mix curd with water to make it lighter. Add this to the pan and stir.

Results: Tasty RavakKali ;)

Note: I am only used to seeing rice 'flour' being used for the Morkali. Google for Morkali + rava, and there are some recipes that use Rice Rava indeed. Maybe this isn't too new an experiment after all!

But hey, We know Gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. We still perform experiments to measure it don't we?!!







No comments: