Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sachinistic!!

Fantastic. Fabulous. Fantabulous. Tremendous. Superb. Amazing. Classic. Unbelievable. Stupendous. Outstanding. And since I am quickly running short of words, let me coin this term - Sachinistic!!

Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. The man of the moment. The first ever 'double' in ODIs. Unbeaten. Off of only 147 balls. And to do it after completing 20 years in the sport?! Man!! Cricket still remains my religion. And Sachin is still my god!

Should we call this ton his 46th? or 47th since we had two tons?! OR should we call it his first? I think I will settle for that. With Sachin in such tremendous form, you never know! There could be a second ;)

So then, Am I fortunate or wot?! Sachin was on 157 and had just eased through a single... I had a feeling this was it. I ran out of my office. Sped through the streets on my Bike. Got home in 7 minutes. Now, I am a believer. The lights turned green as I rolled on. I stormed into my apartment. Turned on the TV. A wicket was down and I had my heart in my mouth. Seeing Sachin in the middle would have been the only thing that would have brought it back to where it belonged. And thankfully he was there. And there I stood, remember - I stood. In front of the TV, not moving an inch - for I didn't want to jinx a rare double. Who would? And as I stood there, Sachin marched on and on and on.... until he walked off, unbeaten, with 200 to his name.

Special mention to a Hashim Amla here. A terrific diving effort from him at the ropes cuts off another boundary from MS and turns it into a single. Else, Sachin might have been left stranded at 199* on the other end, and a few million hearts would have sunk deep. But that was not to be! Thanks to Amla, Sachin got his turn and duly scored his single most important run (at a personal level) in his career. A piece of history that I was fortunate to witness.

I have seen god. And he scores doubles these days!!

No comments: